Maps & Directions
Easy-to-Follow Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park Maps
There are two all-season lodging properties in Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks. In Sequoia, Wuksachi Lodge is located at an altitude of 7,200 feet (2200m). In Kings Canyon at Grant Grove, the John Muir Lodge and the nearby Grant Grove Cabins are located at 6,600 feet (2000m).
In the summer months, Cedar Grove Lodge provides accommodation at the base of Kings Canyon at 4,600 feet (1400m) on the eastern end of Highway 180/Kings Canyon Scenic Byway (open May through mid-October).
Road and weather conditions can change quickly and at any time of the year. Before entering the park, all visitors are strongly encouraged to pick up a Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks map and check current road and weather conditions by calling (559) 565-3341. Visitors Centers also offer a variety of trails maps and other interpretive literature.
See below for information about driving your own car to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
Don't want to drive? No problem. The Sequoia Shuttle from Visalia to Sequoia has you covered.
Transportation by Car
Please note: There is no gasoline available in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. Fill up in Three Rivers, Clingan’s Junction. Contact the front desk for information about facilities in the National Forest that may be open seasonally.
For the latest road and weather conditions within Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, please call the 24-Hour Park Information Hotline at (559) 565-3341, then press 1-1-1.
For road conditions outside of the park, please call (800) 427-7623 or visit these CalTrans webpages:
Wuksachi Lodge is pleased to announce that when chains are required we will be offering a chain concierge to assist guests with installing their snow chains at the chain-up area along the General's Highway between the southern park entrance (Highway 198) and the hotel. This service will be available on Fridays from noon to 5:00 p.m., and on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The chain concierge will install chains for Wuksachi Lodge overnight guests free of charge, or for a $20 fee for non-hotel guests.
Assistance is also available at Wuksachi Lodge on Sunday mornings for departing guests beginning at 8:00 a.m.
To Wuksachi Lodge
- From the south and from all directions in winter. Use the directions below for the South/Ash Mountain Entrance on Hwy 198. Please note that this road is not recommended for vehicles over 22 feet in length. In summer when the Generals Highway (Hwy 198) between Kings Canyon and Sequoia is open, large vehicles are advised to us the Big Stump Entrance.
- Summer from the north. Use the North/Big Stump Entrance on Hwy 180 and take Hwy 198 through the parks. Note that the road between the Big Stump Entrance and Wuksachi is closed in winter.
To John Muir Lodge, Grant Grove Cabins and Cedar Grove Lodge
- From the north and from all directions in winter. Use the North/Big Stump Entrance on Hwy 180. Note that Cedar Lodge is closed in the winter.
- From the south. In the summer when Hwy 198 between Sequoia and Kings Canyon is open, you can use the South/Ash Mountain Entrance. This entrance is not recommended for vehicles over 22 feet in length.
Via North Entrance and Hwy 180 from Fresno
From Highway 99 exit onto Kings Canyon Highway 180 east. Take Hwy 180 east all the way to the Big Stump Entrance to Kings Canyon National Park (about 53 miles). Sequoia and Kings Canyon share the same park entrance gates. After the park entrance continue 1.7 miles to the "Y" intersection with the General's Highway (Hwy 198).
For John Muir Lodge and Grant Grove Cabins
At the "Y" intersection, turn left on Highway 180. Drive 1.7 mi to Grant Grove Village.
Please Note: Check-in is across from the Visitors Center in the same building as the Grant Grove Restaurant, not at John Muir Lodge.
- View route on Google Maps
- View Grant Grove Village area on Google Maps
- View map of Grant Grove Village with check-in directions
From John Muir Lodge continue 29 miles on Hwy 180 to Cedar Grove Lodge. Please note, this section of Hwy 180 is closed in winter.
At the "Y" intersection after the Big Stump Entrance, turn right on Hwy 198, The General's Highway. Continue for 23 miles on the Hwy 198 until you reach Wuksachi Way. Turn left on Wuksachi Way and follow the signs to the Lodge (approximately 50 minutes in good driving conditions).
- View route on Google Maps
- View Wuksachi area map on Google Maps
- Area map of Wuksachi Village with check-in instructions
- We recommend that you leave your bags in your car until after you check in, as it may be easier to drive to your room.
- Hwy 198 between Kings Canyon and Sequoia is closed in winter. When the road is closed, you must use the Hwy 198 entrance to get to Wuksachi Lodge.
North Entrance via Hwys 63 and 180 from Tulare and South
Vehicles over 22 feet in long are advised to use the Highway 180 entrance when possible. To get there from the south, take Highway 99 and exit on Hwy 198 East at Visalia. From Visalia, take Highway 63 and follow it about 40 miles to Highway 180 East which will take you to the park entrance (roughly 1:20 from the Hwy 198 exit at Visalia to the Big Stump Entrance).
Alternatively, you could continue north on Highway 99 to Fresno, and then take Hwy 180 East to the park entrance, which is a longer distance to travel, but may be faster since more of the miles are on major highways (approximately 1:40 from the Hwy 198 exit at Visalia to the Big Stump Entrance).
From the park entrance, follow the directions above as for Fresno.
South Entrance via Highway 198
From Highway 99, exit onto Highway 198 East to Visalia. Stay on Hwy 198 to the park entrance (about 45 miles).
Please note: There is a vehicle-length advisory limit of 22 feet from 4 miles between the Ash Mountain/South Entrance and the Giant Forest area. Longer vehicles are advised to use the Big Stump/North Entrance via Highway 180.
Wuksachi Lodge. From the entrance station, Wuksachi Lodge is 23 miles (approximately 60-minute drive in good driving conditions; approximately 1:45 from Visalia).
When arriving at Wuksachi Lodge, guests should check in and get directions to their room before removing luggage from their cars.
- View route to Wuksachi on Google Maps
- View Wuksachi area on Google Maps
- View Wuksachi Lodge area map with check-in instructions
John Muir Lodge and Grant Grove Cabins. For John Muir Lodge and Grant Grove Cabins, stay on Highway 198 to the intersection with Highway 180 (23 miles from Wuksachi). Turn right on Highway 180 East to Grant Grove Village (1.6 miles). Please note that Hwy 198 between Wuksachi and Grant Grove is closed in winter. During the closure period, use the North Entrance directions for John Muir Lodge.
- View route to John Muir Lodge and Grant Grove Village on Google Maps
- View Grant Grove Village on Google Maps
- View Grant Grove Village and John Muir Lodge with check-in instructions
Cedar Grove Lodge. For Cedar Grove Lodge, travel to Grant Grove Village, then stay on Hwy 180 for another 29 miles to Cedar Grove. Turn left onto Northside Drive. Cedar Grove Lodge is on the right. Please note that this section of Highway 180 and Cedar Grove Lodge are both closed in winter.
Sequoia In-Park Shuttle
In summer, the Sequoia Shuttle offers four free bus routes serving destinations in and around the Giant Forest and Lodgepole area. The Sequoia Shuttle is a great way to leave your car behind, sightsee while you ride, and reduce air pollution!
The shuttle also runs during the winter holidays.
Sequoia Shuttle: Enjoying the Sequoias has never been easier! Public transportation is now offered from Visalia to Sequoia National Park from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Leave your car behind and access locations throughout the Giant Forest including Giant Forest Museum, General Sherman Tree, Moro Rock, Lodgepole Visitor Center and Campground, Crescent Meadow, and Wuksachi Lodge for only $15 roundtrip. To reserve your space, visit SequoiaShuttle.com or dial toll-free (877) BUS-HIKE (877-287-4453).
Potwisha Campground Shuttle Stop to Giant Forest Museum
The Sequoia shuttle stops at the Potwisha Campground Overflow parking hourly beginning at approximately 7:20 a.m. to 11:20 a.m. To reserve a ride to the Giant Forest, please call 1-559-713-4754. Pay telephones are located next to the Potwisha campground kiosk, Foothills Visitor Center, and Hospital Rock. The Sequoia shuttle departs the Giant Forest Museum hourly in the afternoon beginning at 2:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. and arrives back at Potwisha hourly at approximately 3:25 p.m. until 7:25 p.m. The round-trip fee to ride from Potwisha to the Giant Forest Museum is $5.00 or $2.50 for a one-way ride.
Public Transportation to Sequoia and Kings Canyon
- Air: The closest major airports are the Fresno/Yosemite International Airport (FYI), located 53 miles west of Sequoia, and the Visalia Municipal Airport (VIS), located 36 miles west of Sequoia.
- Bus: Greyhound serves Visalia and Fresno from many California cities. For schedules and information, call (800) 231-2222.
- Train: Amtrak serves Hanford and Fresno, with bus connections to Visalia. For schedules and information, visit Amtrak's website.
- Rental Cars: Rental car agencies are located at the Fresno and Visalia airports, and various sites in Visalia and Fresno.
- Sequoia Shuttle: Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are among the country’s largest playgrounds, and enjoying the wilderness has never been easier with the help of the Sequoia Shuttle. Departing from Visalia, CA. the Sequoia Shuttle offers carefree travel to and from the Park... all for $15 round trip. To benefit from the ease and convenience of curbside pick-up, make your reservations as far in advance by calling 1-877-287-4453.