Maps & Directions
Easy-to-Follow Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park Maps
There are two all-season lodging properties in Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks. In Sequoia, Wuksachi Lodge is located at an altitude of 7,200 feet (2200m). In Kings Canyon at Grant Grove, the John Muir Lodge and the nearby Grant Grove Cabins are located at 6,600 feet (2000m).
In the summer months, Cedar Grove Lodge provides accommodation at the base of Kings Canyon at 4,600 feet (1400m) on the eastern end of Highway 180/Kings Canyon Scenic Byway (open May through mid-October).
Road and weather conditions can change quickly and at any time of the year. Before entering the park, all visitors are strongly encouraged to pick up a Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks map and check current road and weather conditions by calling (559) 565-3341. Visitor Centers also offer a variety of trails maps and other interpretive literature.
See below for information about driving your own car to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
Don't want to drive? No problem. The Sequoia Shuttle from Visalia to Sequoia has you covered.
Lodging DirectionsAs a point of reference, our properties are located within driving distance of Fresno Yosemite International Airport:
- Grant Grove Cabins: 54 miles (Approximately 1 hour and 14 minutes)
- John Muir Lodge: 54.4 miles (Approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes)
- Wuksachi Lodge: 76.1 miles (Approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes)
- Cedar Grove Lodge: 83 miles (Approximately 1 hour and 59 minutes)
Winter Weather Driving NotesBe aware of road closures.
These tips will help you prepare for your trip to Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks in the winter:
- Hwy 198 between Kings Canyon and Sequoia is closed in winter. When the road is closed, you must use the Hwy 198 entrance to get to Wuksachi Lodge.
- Driving to John Muir Lodge, Grant Grove Cabins and Cedar Grove Lodge: Use the North/Big Stump Entrance on Hwy 180.
- Snow chains are required to be carried in all vehicles during the winter months as they may be needed at any time.
- Hwy 180 to Cedar Grove and Cedar Grove Lodge are closed in the winter
Current Road Conditions
Directions to Bearpaw High Sierra CampBearpaw High Sierra Camp is an 11.5-mile hike each way along the High Sierra Trail. Learn more about the trail.
Transportation by Car
Please note: There is no gasoline available in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. Fill up in Three Rivers, Clingan's Junction. Contact the front desk for information about facilities in the National Forest that may be open seasonally.
Electric vehicle charging stations are located at Wuksachi Lodge and at Grant Grove Market. These outlet-style charging stations are standard wall outlets, and not suitable for all electric vehicles. Please refer to the State of California's charging station locations list for more information about finding an appropriate station for your electric vehicle.
For the latest road and weather conditions within Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, please call the 24-Hour Park Information Hotline at (559) 565-3341, then press 1-1-1.
For road conditions outside of the park, please call (800) 427-7623 or visit these CalTrans webpages:
Vehicle Length Limits and AdvisoriesDue to narrow, winding, and steep roads in the park, vehicle length limits and advisories are in place for some park roads. These impact vehicles longer than 22 feet. Some restrictions include:
- RVs & Trailers: Vehicle length limits have changed in Sequoia National Park if entering/exiting Hwy 198. The section of the Generals highway leading to and from the "Big Trees" in Giant Forest was built from 1921-1926. As a result, the road was not constructed to accommodate longer vehicles. When the Generals Highway (Hwy 198) between Kings Canyon and Sequoia is open in the summer, large vehicles are advised to use the Big Stump Entrance.
- Vehicles longer than 22 feet (6.7056 meters) are not allowed between Potwisha Campground and the Giant Forest Museum in Sequoia National Park.
- Vehicles longer than 24 feet (7.3152 meters) are not advised between the Foothills Visitor Center and Potwisha Campground in Sequoia National Park.
- Due to road construction, vehicles over 22 feet long are prohibited on the Generals Highway between Hospital Rock and Giant Forest. Motorists who drive longer vehicles should use the northern park entrance to Kings Canyon National Park via Highway 180.
Check-In Area Maps and Instructions
- View Wuksachi Lodge area map with check-in instructions
- View map of Grant Grove Village with check-in directions
Other Ways of Getting to and Around Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
Sequoia In-Park Shuttle
Free shuttles are available in the Giant Forest Area of Sequoia National Park and Shuttles from Visalia are available for a Round Trip fee of $20. Shuttle reservations can be made on the Sequoia Shuttle site. Further details and schedules are available on the parks' transit page.
Public Transportation to Sequoia and Kings Canyon
- Air: The closest major airports are the Fresno/Yosemite International Airport (FYI), located 53 miles west of Sequoia, and the Visalia Municipal Airport (VIS), located 36 miles west of Sequoia.
- Bus: Greyhound serves Visalia and Fresno from many California cities. For schedules and information, call (800) 231-2222.
- Train: Amtrak serves Hanford and Fresno, with bus connections to Visalia. For schedules and information, visit Amtrak's website.
- Rental Cars: Rental car agencies are located at the Fresno and Visalia airports, and various sites in Visalia and Fresno.
- Sequoia Shuttle: Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are among the country’s largest playgrounds, and enjoying the wilderness has never been easier with the help of the Sequoia Shuttle. Departing from Visalia, CA. the Sequoia Shuttle offers carefree travel to and from the Park... all for $15 round trip. To benefit from the ease and convenience of curbside pick-up, make your reservations as far in advance by calling 1-877-287-4453.