Grant Grove Dining Options
Rendering of the Future Grant Grove Restaurant
The new LEED Gold restaurant will provide a dining experience to match the surroundings
Generations of Kings Canyon National Park guests enjoyed dining at the Grant Grove Restaurant, but the 1970s restaurant has been showing its age. We are therefore doing a ground-up renovation to help us meet the expectations of today's guests. During this time, the Grant Grove Restaurant will be closed. See below for more about current Grant Grove dining options.
When complete, the Grant Grove Restaurant will feature fully modern cooking facilities and environmentally sustainable design behind the scenes. The guest dining area will have large windows, a fireplace, vaulted ceilings and improved views of Bradley Meadow. The updated restaurant will provide both a better cooking facility for our chefs and a better dining area for our guests for a much improved overall experience.
See below for more on the upgraded Grant Grove dining experience coming late in the spring of 2017.
In the interim, we will offer a variety of food service options for both overnight guests and day visitors.
Dining Options in Grant Grove
May 22, 2016 to Late Spring 2017
We are making every effort to offer our guests a range of options while we await completion of the new restaurant. For locations of the following venues, see the map below.
- Continental breakfast for overnight guests at John Muir Lodge and the Grant Grove Cabins. Overnight guests staying in our lodging will be offered a continental breakfast in the John Muir Lodge lobby. The cost is $10 for guests 11 years old and older and $7 for children five to ten years old. Children four years old and under eat free. Please note: this option is NOT available to campers or day visitors. Breakfast vouchers may be redeemed at the John Muir Lodge lobby breakfast, the food court or the Market at the guest's discretion.
- Pizza and Grab and Go at the Market. The Grant Grove Market offers "grab and go" meals, microwaveable breakfast burritos, biscuits and other choices. Pizza by the slice and whole pizzas to go (8" and 16").
- 8am to 9pm through Oct 23, 2016
- 9am to 6pm, Oct 24 through Nov 27, 2016
- Food Court. The main menu at the Food Court will offer meals to overnight guests and day visitors alike.
- Food Court Hours
- Through Oct 23: 7am to 10am (breakfast), 11:30am to 8pm (lunch/dinner).
- Oct 24-27: Closed for move to John Muir Lodge
- Oct 28: Open for dinner, 5pm to 9pm
- Oct 29 - Nov 27: 7am to 10am (breakfast), 11:30am to 3:30pm (lunch), 5pm to 9pm (dinner).
- Breakfast options will include pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, meaty breakfast sandwiches, breakfast burritos, bagels and other à la carte items.
- The lunch and dinner menu will include burgers, veggie burgers, gourmet sandwiches, tri-tip and chicken burritos, salad, chili, and more. A separate kids' menu includes "junior" burgers and sandwiches.
- Food Court Hours
- Barbecue. From Memorial Day weekend in late May to Columbus Day in mid-October, our chefs will also host a lunch and dinner barbecue from 11am to 7pm daily. Dishes will include tri-tip, marinated BBQ chicken, smoked turkey leg, as well as a variety of side dishes such as coleslaw, potato salad and macaroni and cheese.
- Outside of Grant Grove. Peaks Restaurant at Wuksachi Lodge, Wolverton Barbecue and the Watchtower Deli and Harrison Grill at the Lodgepole Market will all function as normal (roughly one-hour drive from Grant Grove) as will the Cedar Grove Snack Bar in Kings Canyon (also about a one-hour drive from Grant Grove)
Map of Grant Grove Village
Click to view larger version
About the Restaurant Renovation
We are excited about the updates to the Grant Grove Restaurant and look forward to inviting our guests to an improved dining experience in the late spring of 2017. While the restaurant had been feeding park visitors since the 1970s when it opened as a coffee shop, today’s visitors have higher expectations for both the food and the setting.
Building and environmental standards have also evolved and will play a prominent role in the design of the new Grant Grove Restaurant. The design is aimed at LEED Gold certification and the $6.2-million renovation project will feature an 8,000-square-foot restaurant, which will be built using sustainable materials and construction techniques.
“The renovation of Grant Grove Restaurant has been a central part of our vision for enhancing the overall visitor experience,” said John Motley, Hotel Operations Manager for Delaware North in Kings Canyon. “The new facility will raise the Grant Grove dining experience to match today’s visitor’s expectations.”
Taking advantage of the spectacular setting, the restaurant will feature enhanced views of Bradley Meadow. The inside seating capacity will be increased to 108, with outdoor deck seating for 48, and a large courtyard area with picnic tables that will seat around 75 people. A fireplace, large windows, vaulted ceilings and efficient layout will greet visitors inside and a large modern kitchen will serve behind the scenes. For those in a rush or wanting to maximize their outdoor time, a walk-up service window on the exterior will enable visitors to purchase to-go items like pizza, sandwiches, coffee and—of course—ice cream.